ASIAN HATE CRIMES EDUCATIONAL POST
ATTACKS ON AAPI/ASIAN PEOPLE
It first started with an elderly Thai immigrant who died after being shoved to the ground. Then it continues with a Filipino-American being slashed in the face with a box cutter. After that, a Chinese woman was slapped and then set on fire. The most recent attacks were at massage parlors in Atlanta.
There were more attacks following 2019, 2020 till now even.
These people were innocent human beings who were sadly taken from this world.
There have been several anti-Asian-violence rallies that have been held across the United States in 2021 in response to racism against Asian Americans related to the COVID-19 pandemic. These have been called STOP ASIAN HATE.
Many of these occurred in the wake of a series of shootings that occurred at 3 Atlanta spas on March 16, 2021, in which 8 people were killed, 6 of whom were Asian American women.
However, the movement began to gain action after the killing of Vicha Ratanapakdee nearly 2 months earlier.
AT THE START
At the beginning, the COVID-19 pandemic which was 1st reported in the city of Wuhan, in China’s Hubei province, has led to an increased amount of racism against Asians and Asian Americans.
It has been believed that part of the hatred started with the repeated use of “China virus” and “Kung Flu” by former US President Donald Trump, conservative media outlets, and his supporters when referring to COVID-19.
RESPONSE TO THE HATRED
People have been responding by highlighting these hate crime incidents on social media, raising awareness and asking everyone to look out for their Asian American family, friends and neighbours.
Thousands took out to the streets to speak out against anti-Asian hate, calling for police reforms and criticising Trump for his hateful rhetoric against China during the pandemic.
WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE COMMUNITY
Tackling personal prejudices
An unfair and unreasonable opinion or feeling, especially when formed without enough thought or knowledge.
It is OKAY to admit to these opinions you may have. It is not OKAY to continue to display these negative and unjustified opinions after noticing them.
WHERE DO I START?
- Educate yourself: Education is one of the most valuable things you can do, there are various websites and organisations online that will explain to you why it’s so important and what you can do to help.
- Know your history: Educate yourself on anti-asianness, and the role you and your communities play.
- Make your voice heard: Staying silent in times of injustice is just as bad as opposing justice. Use your platform to educate others and share what is going on!
- Stay updated: Stay updated on what’s happening around, follow accounts on social media, so you are updated on the continuing action.
- Normalise changing your opinion: Normalise changing your opinion, once you have educated yourself on this topic it is okay to change your opinion!
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?
You may wonder why this is relevant to you:
This is important to you because it is your job as a global citizen and a human being to understand what is happening to people, even if it is not from your country.
Racism towards the Asian community is not as prominent in your country, but it is NOT a valid reason or an excuse for you to not understand what is happening to people. Injustice will never be justice if it is unheard, don’t stay silent! No matter where you come from, this is a global issue and is something we clearly should not be facing in 2020 or 2021. Please make sure you are not apart of this problem. If you are unsure of what is happening, educate yourself!
YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, THAT SOME OF YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE, BUT YOU HAVE TO STAND WITH THIS MOVEMENT, AND SHOW YOUR UTTERMOST RESPECT.
HOW PEOPLE HAVE HELPED TO STOP THIS
Organisations have been created to help stop the trend of Asian hate. One example is Stop AAPI Hate. It is a non-profit organisation that runs the Stop AAPI Hate Reporting Center, which tracks incidents of hate and discrimination against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) in the US.
The organisation was formed in 2020 in response to racist attacks on the Asian community as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Their approach is to focus on working to end all forms of structural racism leveled at the communities of colour to truly be able to effectively address anti-Asian racism.
HOW CAN I CREATE CHANGE?
- Educate people in our community: Once you have educated yourself on this issue, educate others in your community don’t be afraid to speak out!
- Speak up and speak out: SPEAK YOUR OPINION!! Don’t stay silent, spread awareness, and make sure everyone knows!
- Donate and Sign petitions
- Support Advocates: Support fellow advocates, making sure you are being respectful and understanding!
YOU CANNOT EXCUSE RACISM.
SIGN, DONATE, EDUCATE.
A NON-COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF ARTICLES WITH A LIST OF WEBSITES IN IT TO LOOK AT TO STOP ASIAN HATE